[Wikisource-l] Interview with LibriVox founder

Ryan Dabler zhaladshar at gmail.com
Sun May 28 21:38:58 UTC 2006

On 5/28/06, Erik Moeller <eloquence at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done a small interview with the founder of LibriVox, a project to
> create spoken audio versions of public domain texts:
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Interview_with_LibriVox_founder_Hugh_McGuire
>
> It sounds like they would be a natural partner for Wikisource to
> collaborate.
>
> Erik

This is a great site.  I've been slowly working with them--well, not *with*
them, but with their audio files to turn them into something more apt for
Wikisource (splitting multi-chapter audio files into a chapter per file,
splitting up the very large chapters, etc.).  Birgitte pointed this project
out to us a little while ago, and I've been using it ever since.

They've got spoken works in multiple languages (aside from English, I
believe German is the next most common language) which really add a nice
touch to the works hosted on Wikisource.  For any interested WS
contributors, I highly suggest a visit to this site.  Their contents might
give a boost to what Wikisource already has, especially where one of our
biggest concerns is what we can supplement our works with and how we
can differentiate ourselves from such giants like Gutenberg; this is one
good method of doing that.

I can't say that I work with them, although some kind of informal
"partnership" would be nice (I wouldn't even know the first place to begin
with doing something like this--but I couldn't see how it would hurt
Wikisource to get in touch with them).  After all, we do share similar
visions and have similar goals, so some kind of collaboration might really
help both of us out.