[Wikisource-l] Toward compatibility with the GNU FDL: delete all Creative Commons works?

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Thu May 11 23:12:51 UTC 2006

Hello Kernigh,

first, I should repeat that we are working on a Free Content Definition at
http://freecontentdefinition.org/
and a list of free content licenses at:
http://freecontentdefinition.org/Licenses

It would be extremely unwise for Wikisource to categorically exclude
other licenses than the GNU FDL, particularly since the FDL is in many
ways a flawed license (overly complex, requires print-out of full
license text together with printed works, has a vague DRM clause, is
not adapted to different national legal systems, etc.).

Wikisource should instead follow similar principles as the Wikimedia
Commons and allow any free content license to be used for added works.
It is true that this will result in compatibility issues in some
cases. However, the primary use of Wikisource is as a repository of
free texts. As long as the individual texts allow the core freedoms of
study, modification and distribution, Wikisource is servicing the
community of content users.

The policy could make clear that all content contributed directly by
the users, such as annotations and translations, must at least be
dual-licensed under the GFDL. But excluding all non-GFDL compatible
licenses strikes me as both counter to the philosophy and the goals of
the project. It is not legally required, either, since the works in
Wikisource are clearly separable.

I've forwarded your posting to foundation-l since this is a Wikimedia
issue, in my opinion.

Erik