[Wikisource-l] [Wikitech-l] Wikisource poem extension - but the intro text?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jul 25 02:05:50 UTC 2006

habj wrote:
> What is the solution here, for the wikis that do not already have these
> elaborate templates? One could do some wiki-specific adaptation to the poem
> tag, so that it adds blank spaces above the poem - that is however not so
> nifty when there actually is no "intro". Should we ask to get another
> semantic tag for the intro? Or is templates, like at English Wikisource, the
> major solution?

To my eyes, the simplest thing is to adjust the style for the <poem> tag to make
it more distinct. The default doesn't enforce any special appearance, but in
most cases people probably would want them.

For instance, in MediaWiki:Common.css one could add:

.poem {
  margin-left: 1in;
}

which will indent all <poem> sections. Borders, backgrounds, font styles etc
could also be used here. Even just indentation should be plenty to set off poem
text from surrounding intro text pretty well.

It's also possible to use templates or something to make a special introduction
style, but IMHO that's probably not necessary.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)