[Wikisource-l] Digital libraries

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 15:42:47 UTC 2006

I stumbled across the most interesting reasource for
digital libaries.  It is very interesting, although
quite a long read (I have not read it through myself).
 Here is the link:
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:BQO1gYk_1A8J:www.diglib.org/pubs/brogan0505/+%22the+public+domain+rights+of+the+larger+society+to+access+out-of-copyright+materials%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2

Most interesting of all were the appendices which
various checklists or list of questions for digital
libraries.  Some were simple as in "1. Is the text
really available and free to the user?"  Others
technically above my head like " 24.1 Are rendering or
transformation instructions (e.g., stylesheets)
encoded in an ISO standard grammar such as XSL? "

Appendices 2, 4, & 6 all contain various ways to
evaluate a digital library.  I would really like us to
do this for Wikisource and see where we are strong and
weak based on these reccomendations.  Because this
document is copyrighted we cannot just copy the
questions wholesale, but maybe we could just list our
answers as "DLF A4 Q1: Yes the texts are really
available and free to the user although some texts are
incomplete."  Is anyone else interested in working on
this with me?  Where should this be done do you think?
 Should we do general evalution on Meta and then
breakdown the answers which could be specific to each
subdomain?  Or just evaluate each subdomain in it's
own project space?

BirgitteSB