[Wikipedia-l] (no subject)

jam at croftj.net jam at croftj.net
Thu Oct 26 02:55:02 UTC 2006

GerardM wrote:
> Hoi,
> For some of the newly created wikipedias there are reasons why I would not
> create them as languages in WiktionaryZ in this manner
> They are:
>
> http://roa-tara.wikipedia.org/		Tarantino
> http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org/		Zamboanga Chavacano
> http://zh-classical.wikipedia.org/	Classical Chinese
> http://cu.wikipedia.org/		Old Church Slavonic
> http://ru-sib.wikipedia.org/		Siberian/Nort Russian
>

>    - Tarantino is supposed to use the roa code. This code does not
>    signify anything but that it is a Romance language. The code does
specify
>    what is included in the code and Tarantino is not one of them.
>    - In ISO-639-3 cbk is the code for Chavacano. Zamboangueño is an
>    alternative name..
>    - For Classical Chinese there is no specificity as what is meant by
>    this. This is also easy to explain as the zh (zho) code itself is
>    depreciated in the ISO-639-3 because there are some 10 languages that
are
>    included in this code.
>    - I might include the Old Church Slavonic as chu. It is used as
>    liturgical language of various Orthodox and Byzantine Catholic
churches. It
>    is considered extinct.
>    - The ru-sib is a created language. It is a bad idea to create a code
>    as if it is a dialect of the Russian language when it is not.
>
> Thanks,
>      GerardM

Gerard,

Chavacano/Chabacano has different varieties or dialects including
Zamboangueño, the dialect with the largest number of speakers. Although
cbk is the ISO code, we decided to go with cbk-zam to distiguish Chavacano
de Zamboanga from the Caviteño, Ternateño and other varieties which are
almost extinct. cbk alone is ambiguous. Zamboangueño, the alternative name
is also ambiguous because it can mean both the residents of Zamboanga City,
Philippines and the dialect of this creole language. Therefore, cbk-zam is
fit to be the non-standardized ISO for Chavacano de Zamboanga wikipedia
(http://cbk-zam.wikipedia.org)

Muchisimas Gracias.

Weekeejames