[Wikipedia-l] please remove my moderating bits

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:03:30 UTC 2006

Walter van Kalken wrote:
> On some projects I still have moderating bits, I hereby ask the stewards
> to take these bits away as I do not wish to spend to much time anymore
> on the projects, I might shout a bit from the sideline. The wikimedia
> projects will always exist, and the original idea was great.
> Unfortunately Winston Churchill was right .... democracy works in theory
> only. When the masses take over like on our project, the sum gets
> lowered to the level of the masses. Which means herd thinking.

Walter,

When you say "moderating bits", do you mean your administrator status?
If so, I urge you to withdraw your request. There are, I believe, many
of us "old-time" admins, who stay away from the politics, use our admin
powers sparingly, and  perhaps contribute sparingly. While we may be in
the minority, there may come a time when our presence will be important
to the project again.

In the meantime, keep your admin privileges. They have not (yet) decided
that the privileges can be removed due to lack of use.

-Rich Holton
(Rholton on en.wikipedia)