[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

Maury Markowitz maury_markowitz at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 13:52:00 UTC 2006

>Spending all this money on changing the law in the USA is imho largely a
>waste of money.

And resources. I contribute to the Wiki to help provide an alternative to
the marketingspeak and lawyer-writen short-term memory that forms a
surprising amount of the 'web. Political lobbying is the sort of thing I
come to the wiki to avoid.

I still think everyone is much too focused on "big content". I'm much more
concerned about the huge amount of non-commercial content that gets stamped
with a copyright without the author having any idea of how that works. I
have posted on this before, and the answers were always "well that's what CC
is for". True as that may be, no-one's ever heard of it. _I_ never heard of
it until coming to the wiki.

Consider the millions of snapshots that are taken every week and posted on
the 'net. One or two of them would improve the wiki, I'm sure, but we can't
use them. Not because the snapshot-taker has any intension of making money,
but because it was copyrighted "by default" and they are completely unaware
of it. This has happened to me repeatedly when trying to get images for
articles. And contrary to the claims here, most librarians and archivists
are completely unaware of either the problem or the solutions.

So I still think education would be a good use of these funds. Who cares
about the big media houses when there is so much content out there that's
free but shackled? Let's try to fix THAT problem, lets make sure people know
there is a better way.

Maury