[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

blah blah audioconsolesux at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 23 11:14:29 UTC 2006

I think that there is enormous untapped potential in colleges and
universities. With the proper amount of funding, it would be possible to
convince schools to force their students to contribute their collective
knowledge to wikibooks/wikipedia as part of their classwork or homework. It
would have to start out small, a few schools experimenting with the idea
here and there. Students would have to login from a .edu address for
accountability purposes in order to avoid plagarism/idiots. They would have
to be distinct from the rest of the wiki community. Professors should also
get involved somehow but I have not thought out their role yet.

It would also kill many birds with one stone. Students can contribute about
subjects that are fresh in their mind as well as learn more about them as
they write. They will also be able to write their own FREE textbooks that
future students can use instead of paying ridiculous sums of money for the
latest books. Just imagine the potential if we could get every school in the
country (or the world) involved... Text books would constantly evolve over
time. Schools can print out copies for students who prefer something
physical at significantly reduced prices while they make a profit. It's a
win-win situation for all (except publishers, poo on them)

Schools should create their own educational content instead of forcing
students to fill publishers coffers. I believe that this would be the
quickest and cheapest method for freeing educational textbooks.