[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Oct 20 04:04:05 UTC 2006

Lawrence Lo wrote:

>Academic journals, thousands of them. If free access to all knowledge
>is our goal, freeing the journals is a major step towards there. I
>don't know what Open access or Wikiversity might impact the process of
>knowledge generation in the future, but I know the academy was/is the
>most important part in the process. Though I wonder if a million
>dollars is enough :P

Most of this is probably more relevant to Wikisource than Wikiversity.
Wikiversity needs to develop effective ways to use the material rather
than just accumulate the stuff.

>Another thing I have in mind, albeit maybe off-topic, is the
>digitization public domain works. Not only text (which is what Project
>Gutenberg is doing), but books, documents, photos, paintings,
>pictures, recordings etc. Forget about copyrighted stuff, there are a
>lot of goodies without copyright but I can't access them simply
>because I am not sitting next to them.

The mass of available out-of-copyright material is certainly worth
doing, but that is a manpower rather than a copyright problem.  I would
add archival ephemera to this.

Ec