[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 19 08:01:28 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Roger Luethi wrote:
>

>>That comparison is misleading. The real comparison is with the money "our"
>>side is spending now. The battle over software patents in Europe showed
>>that the better arguments have a fair chance of winning against monied
>>interests if you can get your arguments heard. And there's no shortage of
>>good arguments in this case.
>>

>Right.  So one of the things I am hearing loud and clear is that our
>community would generally like to see more money spent on lobbying
>efforts for copyright reform.  That is a point very well taken.
>
>However, our task at the moment is not to dream about _that_ per se, but
>rather to dream about what kinds of work under existing copyright, we
>would like to see made free.  There have been many good suggestions, and
>I welcome more.

Some consideration to copyright reform would clearly be worthwhile.  The
emphasis here should be on the doable, or on those laws that are filled
with ambiguities.  Urging governments to get on to the task of freeing
orphan works would be a great help with no significant damage to the
unknown owners.  Getting more governments to put their own material in
the public domain, particularly their laws would be very helpful.  It
seems to me that copyright claims by some governments seem to be
motivated by some kind of desire to protect accuracy, or to restrict the
publication of some material; financial gain is often a more limited
motivation.  Accurate texts are both in our and their interests.
Governments also need to be made aware that having US material in the
public domain while theirs isn't will make the US point of view more
predominant than it would be otherwise.  The other important campaign
would be to oppose the expansion of database protection laws that
already exist in the EU and apply even if the contents of the database
are already in the public domain.  I can forsee Google eventually
claiming this kind of protection for its public domain material.

One area of copyright material where we could provide great service is
with journals.  Peter Suber and The Open Access movement is already
working at freeing the more recent issues of journals, and receiving
co-operation from publishers.  Publishers who are amenable to the open
access idea may be unwilling to make the effort to digitize back issues
that may go back many decades.  These publishers, who often operate on a
shoestring, could be open to a mutually beneficial arrangement for
keeping their old material alive.  Without access to a major university
library some of this material can be very difficult to find.

Ec