[Wikipedia-l] starting a new language

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 06:44:59 UTC 2006

Hoi,
I do advocate to not include a language under a code that is
incompatible with the terms of use of the ISO-639. This does only mean
that a code needs to be picked that is *clearly *outside ISO-639, this
can be accomplished by picking a four character code. I also advocate to
follow the ISO-639 and not deviate from it's content. There are well
established ways in which you can inform about dialects scripts etc. I
do advocate to use these established ways.

My point is that when people want recognition for the language that they
speak and write as a language, they have to jump through the hoops that
are there to jump through. In the mean time there can be a code that
allows them to work on a WMF project. However, what I am not saying is
that any "language" deserves it's own project. There have already been
two languages that have been deleted because of popular demand.

Thanks,
    GerardM