[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 21:38:23 UTC 2006

For much freely available published material,--especially images--publishers
will be much more ready to permit access to the version on their own web
site than to permit copying it onto ours. We should not shut ourselves out
from this material.
Perhaps what we should ask for is an irrevocable license to link, and a
promise that the the material will be available permanently in some
repository.

But I do not think we need the long-term mirrored archival backup that would
be wanted for a scholarly journal. The very nature of a wiki project makes
it impermanent.

On 10/17/06, Platonides <Platonides at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Roger Luethi" wrote:
> > The Landsat images they use are in the public domain, but I don't know
> if
> > there's a place that offers them for bulk download.
> If there's not, a WMF place would be a good place to start with it.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.