[Wikipedia-l] starting a new language

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 08:24:41 UTC 2006

It's considered a dialect of Latvian by the Ethnologue.

But they're known to have very unreliable information in many cases.
They even list Yinglish as a language when it's not even a dialect or
sociolect, merely a group of code-switching phenomena (mostly. see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yinglish ), while they neglect to even
mention Singlish, the creole language spoken natively by most young
Singaporeans.

Mark

On 17/10/06, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> The code bat is a "collective code" for Baltic (other). Latgalian however is
> considered a dialect of Latvian and therefore it is not "other".
>
> http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=lav
> http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/documentation.asp?id=bat
> Thanks,
>    GerardM
>
> On 10/17/06, Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 10/17/06, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hoi,
> > > According to Ethnologue Latgalian is a dialect of Latvian. From my point
> > of
> > > view, there is not even a proposed code to be used for your proposed
> > > Wikipedia that would be acceptable. Acceptable would be something like
> > > "lv-latg" or "lav-latg" ..
> >
> > There's a test wiki at http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Test-wp/ltg
> > The code bat-ltv has been suggested.
> >
> > Angela
> >
> > --
> > Angela Beesley
> > http://wikia.com | http://a.nge.la

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.