[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 16 20:40:53 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> The point is: suppose someone wanted to buy $100,000,000 of existing
> copyrighted material and set it free.  What should it be?

In other words, Goo^H^H^Hthis unnamed company wants to do something
useful that could also be a $100M tax writeoff...

It would be interesting for this company to approach the different news
agencies and ask them to bid on a package of free images that would be
comprehensive coverage for people and events 1923-2003 or so. They
wouldn't necessarily want to free up their best images, the ones that
make them money on a daily basis, but there would be a lot left over. We
could even help by collecting un-illustrated articles and ones with
unfree images, and making up a big wantlist that they could match
against their stock.

Stan