[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon Oct 16 13:55:10 UTC 2006

On 10/16/06, Maury Markowitz <maury_markowitz at hotmail.com> wrote:

> In opposition to any effort this $100 million could possibly generate, the
> entire media industry is arrayed with a variety of well established lobby
> groups to ensure no such change takes place. It is resonable to suspect that
> the only changes to the law will be to increase the length of time for
> protections, while at the same time removing existing user rights.

I was not suggesting that any or all of the money we are talking about
be used for that purpose; knowing a bit more of the specifics of this
proposal, I doubt that this would happen (though it might be worth
asking). But this attitude of utter resignation is pitiful. Humanity
has fought greater evil than excessive copyright terms, and prevailed.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

Member, Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees

DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, all views or opinions expressed
in this message are solely my own and do not represent an official
position of the Wikimedia Foundation or its Board of Trustees.