[Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 18:52:01 UTC 2006

On 10/15/06, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> What needs doing:
>
>    - Much information needs to be preserved. Much data that is really
>    precious needs digitizing. So that we will nor suffer another disaster like
>    the burning of the library of Alexandria.

This may not be terribly important for the particular donor, however...

The long-term preservation of knowledge in sites like Wikipedia and
the Internet Archive is currently exceptionally tactical.

Within the WP context, perhaps in consort with IA, it would be a
really good idea to look to short-term data backup redundancy through
very long term archive issues.

A lot of modern data is not completely, but functionally, lost.
Avoiding that happening here would be good...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com