[Wikipedia-l] According to Alexa graphs, Wikipedia is on the 8th place

Alphax (Wikipedia email) alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 02:49:00 UTC 2006

Milos Rancic wrote:
[converted to a tinyurl]
> http://tinyurl.com/y826rk
>

> "Today" Wikipedia is on 11th place, one week place is 12th and three
> months place is 16-17th.
>
> But, according to the graphs, Wikipedia is on 8th place. Wikipedia is
>  better then myspace.com (6th place), sina.com.cn (7th place) and
> yahoo.co.jp (9th place), but live.com (8th place) and youtube.com
> (10th place) are better then Wikipedia.

Look, Alexa is a hopeless indicator of traffic. It only tracks people
with the Alexa toolbar installed, which is a very small and biased
portion of all internet users; for a start, it excludes all schools and
universities - because they're not going to have the Alexa toolbar
installed - which is presumably where a lot of our traffic comes from.