[Wikipedia-l] [Foundation-l] contents under education/information licenses

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Wed Nov 22 05:10:17 UTC 2006

David Monniaux wrote:

> The big problem is that, as things are now, if A uses photos from B in
> an advertisement, it is generally interpreted as B endorsing A.

If they really wanted to release an image, they could find a way.
They have solved more complicated problems than this, things that
really are rocket science.  Therefore, if they don't release any
images, this must be interpreted as a lack of will.  And so be it.
We cannot force them.  All we can do is to leave their articles
without proper illustrations.

Let me tell an odd story from Sweden: The website of the Swedish
parliament provides portrait photos of all 349 members.  These
photos are free for any use, and are now at Commons, e.g.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Gunilla_Carlsson.jpg
But the website of the Swedish government provides portrait photos
that are free for any use *until* the next election in 2010, after
which the full copyright returns to the photographer!  So the
government didn't buy the photos of themselves, they just rented
them for four years, http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/2000
Again, if they really wanted they could of course get photos
without this strange time limit.  It's a simple contract with the
photographer.  It's not rocket science.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)