[Wikipedia-l] [Foundation-l] contents under education/information licenses

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 19:17:30 UTC 2006

On 21/11/06, David Monniaux <David.Monniaux at free.fr> wrote:

> We're talking of Mr Jean Dupont, member of Parliament from a pro-Europe
> party, waging a reelection campaign on a theme of "with Europe, we go
> beyond" using photos of ESA rockets, and ESA getting an angry complaint
> from Dupont's euroskeptic opponent and his party.
> (Apparently, this has happened, and of course they were at least able to
> say that this happened in violation of their policies. It would be more
> difficult for them to deal with people acting within their policies.)

So the problem here is that the euroskeptic opponent thinks this is
ESA's problem, and that ESA feels it has to go along with this idea.
That is: the problem you're describing is local politics rather than
that open content licences are problematic.

What ill effects have befallen NASA from its works being public
domain? I still eagerly await your and ESA's answers to this question.

Again, I fail to see what Wikipedia gains from appeasement on this
point. It won't stop politicians acting like politicians and will only
damage our own position.

- d.