[Wikipedia-l] Semi-protection

theProject wp.theproject at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 00:43:44 UTC 2006

I'm starting to become a bit concerned at the rate at which we're applying
semi-protection to our articles. This morning I decided to punch in a whole
bunch of country names into WP to see what would show up. As you can see,
we're starting to see that padlock icon more and more frequently these days.

Australia -- not protected
Brazil -- not protected
Canada -- sprotected
China -- sprotected
- People's Republic of China -- not protected
- Republic of China -- sprotected
France -- sprotected
Germany -- sprotected
Italy -- sprotected
Japan -- sprotected
Korea -- not protected
- North Korea -- sprotected (to be fair, this was unprotected, then
re-protected by me)
- South Korea -- sprotected
Mexico -- sprotected
Russia -- not protected
Spain -- sprotected
United Kingdom -- not protected
United States -- sprotected

Now, this isn't completely unacceptable, but I think we can do a little
better. What are the implications of holding back a bit more on the use of
semi-protection (other than the obvious)? Could we do a bit more
vandal-fighting work to make our encyclopaedia more open?

--
theProject