[Wikipedia-l] Require confirmed email address to upload images?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 17:37:10 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 6/29/06, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
>
>> Tomasz never said this.  He said anonymous users should "have all
>> options available", not that they should have "more" than
>> registered users.  I don't know if you have a problem with reading
>> what others write, or if you are pushing some political agenda,
>> but the way you communicate is becoming irritating.
>>

> It is to afford them more respect when we contort our policy to
> minimize effort for them while maximizing the effort for our more
> established editors.
>
> I have a hard time listening to people who make loud an emotional
> complaints about exclusion when we talk about registration, because
> it's patently untrue. Registration excludes no one.   If you want to
> argue on the basis of more complicated editing/uploading dissuading
> new people from discovering the joy of contributing then I can follow
> that argument..  But to claim that we're discussion a policy of
> exclusion? Thats just trolling.
>
> We should discontinue using the word 'anonymous' for non-registered
> users, because they are among the least anonymous users on the system.

Hoi,
When registration excludes no-one it means that those people that do
have a reason not to register an e-mail address are excluded. There are
such people. It is fine for you not to see the arguments of others, you
paint yourself in a corner however by calling these other names. It does
not make your argument sympathetic, far from it, it hurts your cause.

Thanks,
    GerardM