[Wikipedia-l] Moldovan wikipedia: hands waiving is not proof

Lorenzarius lorenzarius at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 14:05:30 UTC 2006

I don't know any "Moldovan", but if the difference between "Moldovan"
and Romanian is merely a difference in the alphabet used, we don't
even need an external script for the conversions: because MediaWiki
already supports such conversions (this function is introduced in
version 1.4). This function is currently being used on the Chinese (to
convert between traditional/simplified Chinese) and Serbian (to
convert between Cyrillic/Latin alphabet) Wikipedia. In fact the
situation on zh: is much more complicated than merely a difference in
alphabet, and I can assure you that the initial discussion on zh:
(e.g. whether to split or not; whether a technical solution is
adequate enough) is no less painful than the current one I see here.
But as a native Chinese speaker, I think our use of a technical
solution to overcome a not-so-technical problem works out pretty well
so far and that we did indeed make a correct decision to not to split.

For more info:
http://zh.wikipedia.org/
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Transwiki:Wikimania05/Paper-ZZ1
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Automatic_conversion_between_simplified_and_traditional_Chinese