[Wikipedia-l] Require confirmed email address to upload images?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 02:59:33 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, maru dubshinki <marudubshinki at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think this is as clear cut as you think it is. In the case of
> requiring users to register to start articles, and we had solid
> evidence that our openess was actively harmful- pace Siegenthaler.
> I've seen no reason to believe that our current level of openness
> w/r/t images is actively harmful, and not merely a nuisance on the
> level of vandalism by IPs.

After the fact evidence shows that the anonymous newpage prohibition
was counterproductive, actually.  Good thing that nothing proposed
here is an attempt to curb vandalism.

I posted a substantial amount of data on the subject, more than we had
considered before the anonymous newpage prohibition was put into
effect. If you'd like anything more I'd be glad to research it, but
I'd hope that you understand that the problem we're trying to solve is
a communications and education problem, not a vandalism problem or
even a copyright problem.