[Wikipedia-l] Require confirmed email address to upload images?

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 22:46:52 UTC 2006

Those are some really compelling figures and therefore arguments.  (And I
don't disagree about the yeoman's service done by those who edit on uploaded
images).

Surely nobody is prepared to argue that where we are talking about an image
stream measured in dozens of thousands, the yield is so pathetic, and the
immediate reduction in problem uploads can (theoretically) be cut by a
[[insert adjective here]] amount, we ought not consider the change?  5 out
of 6 deletes comes from a non-email-enabled user?  Geez...

My position is geared to support the community.  Here it seems a substantial
amount of editing time and effort can be refactored favorably to
(a) reduce bad image upload / copyvio
(b) increase communication (mere ability to communicate!) with presumably
new contributors (WP:Newbie)
(c) encourage, not eliminate, their work, just by helping with the right way
to contribute image content
(d) stem the tide of wasted human effort in dealing with this problem (bots
too)
(e) emphasize positive contributions
(f)  decrease whining and scare tactics
(g) big morale boost to image patrollers =)

Sounds like a bit fat net positive to me.