[Wikipedia-l] Require confirmed email address to upload images?

Mark Wagner carnildo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 21:24:20 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com> wrote
> On 6/28/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> By talking about it as if there is a crisis, you make it a crisis; it
>> seems as if we are at war.. I am not convinced AT ALL.

> I would be interested to know on what data you rest your conclusions.
> GMaxwell will back up his statements about the nature of the problem with
> actual numbers (won't you Greg?)  =)

I don't know about Greg, but I certainly can:
http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2006-March/041534.html

As of last March, approximately 2000 images were uploaded to the
English Wikipedia each day.  Of those, roughly 50% had clearly
incorrect license information.  Of the images claimed as "fair use",
roughly 35% of the claims were immediately obvious as being invalid.
I haven't seen any sign of the ratios changing since then.

Based on a random sampling of 50 talk pages of users uploading images
without source information or license information, 80% of these users
have no talkpage traffic other than notices about image problems, and
maybe a welcome message.

--
Mark
[[en:User:Carnildo]]