[Wikipedia-l] Require confirmed email address to upload images?

Tomasz Wegrzanowski taw at users.sf.net
Wed Jun 28 19:31:38 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Kat Walsh <mindspillage at gmail.com> wrote:
> Suggestions/thoughts/objections?

A very strong objection from me.

The Wikipedia is gradually getting less and less open
and it's really becoming annoying.
Already too many common actions require a registration.
On English Wikipedia one cannot even create an article without a registration
(as if registration meant anything),
what in my opinion is a huge blow to our former openness.

But a confirmed email addresses for uploading photos ?
This is really way too sick. We would be annoying every single
contributor while gaining absolutely nothing.

We should rather get back to the situation where unregistered users
have all the options available - editing pages, creating new articles,
uploading pictures, moving articles, everything.
Having to register doesn't stop a single vandal.