[Wikipedia-l] Use of images (again)

Berto albertoserra at ukr.net
Wed Jun 28 16:36:13 UTC 2006

Hi!
>I've registered and edited on several Wikipedias where I don't speak the
>language; I've managed to work everything out based on the the location
>and URLs of the links.
We all can do it... personally I'll probably never need anything else that
en:wiki+commons+meta. The problem is a full user base, not people having an
EN-e plus a good practice in using wikies and comps and pending a number of
hours a day inside a wiki... I'm not staying up all night to serve just 30
people. I want people who are not net-junkies to be able to use it, too. :)
If we cannot manage to present occasional users with easy tools we loose
traffic. Not a big deal for ES.wiki, as they got billions of possible users,
but really something to be avoided in our situation.

>Maybe the local links to Commons could have "?uselang=" at the end of
>the URLs?
Yes! http://commons.wikimedia.org/?uselang=fr works. Is it an acceptable
practice? By the way... this thing alone would have interwiki links mantain
a stable interface, if put on the main soft engine... I do not really think
that it would cost much work...

>http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Especial:Upload
This is not what I want, but it's better than nothing. The good thing would
be a dedicated page there, that would upload images to commons, as the old
one did. Any time you ask a user to click once more you loose traffic.
Things must be as simple as possible.

Bèrto