[Wikipedia-l] Use of images (again)

Giuseppe DAngelo pippudoz at yahoo.it
Tue Jun 27 10:22:07 UTC 2006

Someone from it.wiki recently asked me where I got a picture of a Beatles single sleeve that I used on scn.wiki.  I said I got if from en.wiki.  He then responded that in that case it is not covered by Italian law because Italy does not have the fair use provisions found in the USA.  He suggested I delete the image from scn.wiki.

  I was a bit  dumbfounded by this response. For instance:
  1.  What does Italian law have to do with the Sicilian wikipedia?
  2.  Why is USA law necesarily valid for the whole of the English language wikipedia?
  3.  In any event, aren't the servers all in the USA?  So what's good for one wiki is surely good for another.

  He then told me that the Sicilian wikipedia sat on the Italian servers.  Once again I was equally dumbfounded, why?  since when?  under whose direction?  Remember that 90% of the contributions to scn.wiki arrive from sources outside of Italy.

  So - can I or can't I have this particular picture of a Beatles single sleeve, considering that it is ok to put up on en.wiki?
  pippu d'a