[Wikipedia-l] Moldovan wikipedia, again

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 15:43:59 UTC 2006

Okay, this is interesting -- a new user just showed up.

http://mo.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=%D0%9F%D1%8D%D0%B4%D1%83%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%8E%D0%BB

Their username is written in Moldovan Cyrillic. I don't know whether
or not they're a native speaker, but they are the first person in a
while besides me to create new pages in correctly-spelt Moldovan.

I know I will get accusations from the Romanian camp of sockpuppetry;
I assure you this is not my sockpuppet, you may check if you would
like.

Whoever this is, though, they've certainly made this whole thing more
interesting for me, at least.

Mark

On 24/06/06, Francis Tyers <spectre at ivixor.net> wrote:
> Well, I'm not in a position to "hand down the law" so to speak ;) It
> bothers me that certain people are so eager to close it, and it also
> bothers me that once it is closed, should sufficient interest be shown,
> the same people who voted 'close' here would 'oppose' re-opening it.
>
> I think that would be highly unfair. _If_ it is closed, there has to be
> the possibility of it being re-opened provided there is interest.
>
> Mark, I think that any Wikipedia without native contributors should be
> closed after a certain period. By closed I mean as I proposed here:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects#Collective_failure_to_get_the_point
>
> The current content archived and a placeholder put in place. I don't
> think the "offensive" thing is important at all, I voted for keeping the
> Serbo-Croatian Wikipedia, even though (allegedly) it offended a lot of
> Balkanians. The point there was there were native speakers really eager
> to contribute. I'm just not seeing that here.
>
> As I have expounded on the same page here:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Proposals_for_closing_projects#General_discussion_about_small.2C_inactive_wikis
>
> I think having very low quality small Wikipedias harms more than helps.
> I think that a Moldovan Wikipedia could certainly in its current form
> have a place in something like Sabines suggestion. With regard to the
> Tajik, Nauruan, Kanuri, Venda, Xhosa, and Twi Wikipedias, the same
> applies.
>
> In short, I stand by my previous proposal, and would add that it should
> definately _not_ be voted on to be re-opened, it should only take ~9
> native speakers to request it. _Definately no vote_ -- We'll just get
> adorable Romanians pushing their brand of "democracy", and the ensuing
> clown parade.
>
> Fran
>
> On Sat, 2006-06-24 at 08:07 -0700, Jacky PB wrote:
> >
> > > ... it should be closed now
> >
> > Amen !
> > (I cut the oppinion of Francis Tyers out of a context that hides it).
> >
> > > If only it were possible to get a non-involved party to look at this for
> > > 5 minutes and decide one way or the other. It would save everyone a hell
> > > of a lot of time. What we need is a knee jerk binding judgement! (of
> > > course this is said partly in jest, but we really aren't going to get
> > > anywhere by 'discussing' this).
> >
> > Well, **you** of all are non-involved. And after following this discussion for
> > a **long** time you ended with the same conclusion: Regardless of what the Moldovan
> > language is or is not, there are no native contributors, and there is one single
> > contributor overall (who actually cannot contribute because he is at level mo-2). Isn't this enough?
> >
> > Dpotop

Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.