[Wikipedia-l] Image uploads now undeletable

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Jun 16 21:16:26 UTC 2006

Brad Patrick wrote:
> That is what I was thinking.  I was imagining cleanup after no touches for a
> period of time.  But this is a great advance!

It's likely that there will not be a reason to actively delete archived files.
The order of magnitude of kept images will likely remain much larger, making the
usage insignificant.

(Among other things, deleted junk is often small images copied from other web
sites, while original work is often multi-megapixel digital photos.)

If we ever do need to dump older files, of course, we can do so. Note that I've
included the timestamp of the deletion in the file archive, so it would be
relatively straightforward to, say, dump all files deleted more than one year ago.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)