[Wikipedia-l] Image uploads now undeletable

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jun 16 05:08:08 UTC 2006

Brad Patrick wrote:
> Do you have a handle on how large the deleted content will be? Seems we
> could end up hosting a *lot* of deletions = lot of space.

Deleted text has always been much, much smaller than the non-deleted text,
and the old image directories have always been much smaller than the current
image directories. Storage space for commons is growing at a phenomenal
rate, and deletable images are only a small part of that. We need to make
sure we have an architecture which allows us to expand our capacity to
multiple terabytes of files, while keeping costs down and maintaining some
redundancy. Commons is going to get that big regardless of deletion policy.

We haven't reached consensus on exactly what software design we're going to
use, but I believe we're largely in agreement that more amane-type machines
would be useful. I've asked for another one or two depending on budget; I'm
not sure what the status of that proposed order is.

-- Tim Starling