[Wikipedia-l] GFDL compliance is hard [was Re: blatant state-sponsored copyright violations (by Baide Baiku of the PRC)]

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Jun 3 21:16:36 UTC 2006

On 6/3/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> In any case, the letter probably shouldn't state
> "you're OK if you do *this*" but rather "you're not OK if you don't do
> *this*".

Actually, I sort of misspoke.  It'd be *better* if the Wikimedia
Foundation came up with a set of simple, concrete steps which would
allow for GFDL compliance.

But this is unlikely to happen for two reasons - the GFDL is not easy
to comply with, and Wikipedia is set up in a way which makes GFDL
compliance even more difficult.

So, in the case of Baidu, settling for a GFDL notice is probably the
most that can be hoped for.  A link back to the original article would
be nice, though it might be hard to convince them to do, and it isn't
required by the GFDL anyway.

Anthony