[Wikipedia-l] Marketing: a question

Berto albertoserra at ukr.net
Thu Jul 13 22:37:31 UTC 2006

Hi!

> Being a small wiki, with few contributors and little articles, wiki
> licensing could be switched to a dual license like GFDL-Cc-by-sa.
> Cc-by-sa is very similar to the GFDL terms, but license text is not
> required.
> You would need to contact with all contributors to get their agreement to
> publish their previous work under cc-by-sa too. Changing the licensing
> informationg would make the future ones. And a strong community consensus
> required :)
>
> Be aware that contributions previous to the switching will be GFDL-only so
> you couldn't publich it under the second one. This may not apply to
trivial
> information (e.g. like those ips usually give).
> Unrelicensable texts could either:
> -Be deleted (the strict way)
> -Tag them with a template saying 'some parts of this may not be available
> under CC ' (the easier way)

We have a template shown on all pages already. Basically I guess we could
simply point readers to a "Wikipedia:Licensing" page, where we would state
that content published before <licence switch date> is available under GFDL
only, and invite distributors to use the "history" tool to verify what's the
situation for each page. If they need to publish GFDL-licensed material we
will discuss the question with the contributors and eventually place an add
on that page that completely switches it to CC. It looks a lot easier than
having to hand-tag 1.200 articles.

Bèrto