[Wikipedia-l] Marketing: a question

Berto albertoserra at ukr.net
Wed Jul 12 18:41:46 UTC 2006

Hi!
> -information added by locals on their customs/traditions will have to
> be verifiable. We cannot accept original research.
Mostly reference data is there. The problem is that such books, more often
than not, are buried into libraries and data never gets any public
exposition. Our procedure at the moment is to allow anon users to drop in
anything they want, and afterwards check the info with our contacts in the
university environment and a number of dedicated mailing lists. If the data
can be proved to be reliable, than we just wikify it and add references for
it.

No matter how hard we try, there is going to be a number of cases that will
remain floating in the mist. We will have a special marker for such data,
asking the people to provide evidence for them. This in turn gets to expand
en:wiki content, too. When translating the "Cairn" entry we found additional
data by contacting both pms and oc communities. References are being checked
and once approved they will be added to the en:wiki entry, too.

> -I don't think distribution in newspapers will change the *type* of
> vandalism we'll get. I'm not even sure if it will increase the volume
> of vandalism greatly.
We had some occasional vandalism only in the first week of our existence. At
the moment trouble is limited to very small edit wars... I suppose we need
to grow much larger before we attract vandals :)

Bèrto