[Wikipedia-l] Marketing: a question

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Wed Jul 12 13:05:16 UTC 2006

Oldak Quill schrieb:
> There's something I've never understood about our use of the GFDL. I
> assume it is not the case that we are stuck with whatever version of
> the GFDL was around in September 2001? There must be some kind of
> provision in the text of the GFDL to automatically update the license
> to the latest version, am I right? If this isn't the case then we're
> as far from GFDL 1.3 as we are from CC-by-sa.

Yes. The license is "GFDL 1.2 or any later version", IIRC.

However, Stallmann (and thus the FSF) did /not/ endorse the CC licenses
because there's a noncommercial one, and if he won't endorse one of the
licenses, he won't recommend the others in the CC bundle either.

So much for his reasonig, if it can be called that ;-)

Magnus