[Wikipedia-l] Marketing: a question

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 08:02:56 UTC 2006

On 12/07/06, Berto <albertoserra at ukr.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> can a newspaper publish an article from a wiki, provided that they quote the
> source page? I am thinking to propose this to a number of small local
> newspapers, but I am not clear on the copyright matter, since these
> newspapers are actually sold. Obviously, it would be just an article, the
> paper is 99,5% made of their own stuff. It would do great to get a better
> media exposure.

Print is tricky for the GFDL - it seems to be the case * that when
you're reproducing material under the GFDL online, you can get away
with a link to the complete license and authorship information even if
this is hosted on another server, whereas putting it in printed form
means it stands alone, so you need to add the whole license, etc.

* I'm not sure if this is explicitly laid down or if it's just the
generally-accepted interpretation, though.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk