[Wikipedia-l] Where ends the responsibility of Wikipedia? (personal information of people)

Jim trodel at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 22:06:36 UTC 2006

On 1/29/06, Walter Vermeir <walter at wikipedia.be> wrote:

> I have seen a request form a person who has a entry on the English
> language Wikipedia to remove his date of birth because he fears identity
> theft. He is a USA-citizens.

This seems clearly a verifiability issue. If his dob is publicly verifiable,
then having it on wikipedia creates no additional risk for him. If not,
someone who knows him is a wikipedian and they added it, then it should be
removed as not verifiable. And we don't have to bother with the identity
theft issue.

Jim