[Wikipedia-l] German wikipedia to be printed - where's the stable version feature?

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Fri Jan 27 10:33:40 UTC 2006

Directmedia, the company who brought us the German Wikipedia on CD and
DVD, has expanded to print publishing, as can already be seen in form of
"WikiPress", a topic-specific series of books.

They just announced that they will publish the German Wikipedia *in full
print*, 100 volumes with 800 pages each, starting with the letter A in
October 2006, to end with Z in 2010.

For this, they hired a few people. The plan is for these "editors" to go
over *the stable version* of each article.

Some of you might have notices a slight problem with this - there is no
stable version feature in Wikipedia. As usual, we have discussed a lot
about the stable version (which is good), and AFAIK most people agreed
that it won't do much harm, depending which version is presented (I'd
consider that consensus, provided we still show the current version
first), and then, in good tradition, did - nothing.

As I said time and again, I don't care if it's my stable version
extension, or Tim Starling's, or one donated by a merciful god, but we
should *use* one, on every wikipedia that wants it. And /soon/. Like
now. Or next week. There's nothing left to discuss, except repeating old
arguments over again.

Magnus