[Wikipedia-l] Registering www.wikipedia.se for sv.wikipedia.org

Carlos Thompson chlewey at cable.net.co
Thu Jan 26 14:13:16 UTC 2006

Andreas Vilén escribió:

>Hi, I've started a discussion at svwiki about registering the address
>www.wikipedia.se (.se is the primary domain of Sweden), but it's
>currently owned by someone, and it will probably cost money to buy it.
>I have not contacted the person who owns it yet, but I'm checking if
>there's any way this could be financed by Wikimedia? I also see that
>for example www.wikipedia.de, www.wikipedia.no and www.wikipedia.pl
>already exists.

It might work if www.wikipedia.se redirects to sv.wikipedia.org and
chapter.wikipedia.se to the Swedish chapter.  If there is no Swedish
chapter, well, it might be time to create one.  You can also have
fi.wikipedia.se and se.wikipedia.se redirecting to the respective
languages... or even better:
  (www.)wikipedia.se/wiki --> sv.wikipedia.org/wiki
  (www.)wikipedia.se/fi --> fi.wikipedia.org/wiki
  (www.)wikipedia.se/se --> se.wikipedia.org/wiki
  (www.)wikipedia.se/chapter --> chapter.wikipedia.se
... well, something like that.

>I think registering the .se address would increase traffic to the
>Swedish Wikipedia, since many today probably believe there is only an
>English version of it, and I don't know, but I suspect that traffic to
>svwiki is relatively low, at least we have pretty few editors.
>
>Is there any possibility this could be done?

Through the Swedish chapter, sure.