[Wikipedia-l] Policy clarification: Undue weight

Berto albertoserra at ukr.net
Tue Apr 11 21:35:44 UTC 2006

Hi!

> No need to specify the exact techniques used by the
> Egyptians (at least, not in this context, as a part of the pyramid
> article it would be very welcome to me), or the exact location where
> the aforementioned gravures have been found and what exactly they
> show. Report on the arguments, don't argue them.

LOL we are actually saying the very same thing. But with a different wording
:) See how difficult it gets, when we move from real examples to "politics"?
This is way policies are always at a loss, when one begins to discuss them.
They are so abstract that it's easy to think of whatever in the world. In
reality, we end up doing the very same thing: putting infos on different
articles and have the readers somehow informed of how they can get a deeper
information level on the subject, if they need it.

> In my opinion this IS undue weight. Giving small minority opinions on
> general pages is in my opinion undue weight to those opinions.

No, it's what google will do for the reader, if we do not do it ourselves.
But ten again, I'm speaking about a link, not about a full-fledged text
about all possible details. Something usual paper edition do with their "see
also" annotations. We simply suggest the existence of related information.
Then, info lists also do have an internal order, just as a search will give
you a percent of subject relevance. I do not see any problem in having a
jump-box stating three sections like
*related info
*minority views
*odd things

> That
> this is best resolved not by removing the material altogether but
> moving it to the minority's page does not mean it was out of context
> on the subject page - just that it gave undue weight by being there.

Once again, we do exactly the same thing. The main principle should be text
readability. If the text is readable and can carry a basic and clear
information level, then it's okay. Jump tables will help the reader towards
more clear texts, depending on his needs/likings.

Bèrto