[Wikipedia-l] Wikicite project pages (english versions only so far)

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 19:26:36 UTC 2005

Stirling Newberry wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Wikicite
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikicite
>
> A fact is only as reliable as the ability to source that fact, and the
> ability to weigh carefully that source. Wikipedia's community, in an
> effort to expand its useful sphere of users, increase its reliability,
> usability and credibility has held several related discussions on
> improving the scholarly apparatus of wikipedia. The need to cite
> sources is now in the community standard's list, the desire to upgrade
> the citation of articles is the subject of the Fact and Reference
> Project, and the Encyclopediac Standards project has discussed
> automatic, or at least software assisted citations. There has also
> been a coding effort to support footnoting.
> [edit]
>
> Need for Live Data
>
> These projects, need, not only to be joined together, but to be joined
> together in a live manner, which allows for the creation of
> bibliographic apparatus. The Library of Congress is working on such a
> project for its purposes, it is the purpose of this project to create
> an open wiki system which will allow:
>
> 1.  Software assisted citation. To make it easier for editors to cite,
> and to make citations comprehensive to include a link to an author
> article, the book's card and the date as a wikilink.
>
> 2.  Card catalogs which will allow users to annotate the work, and to
> link to other works, which could include later editions, bibliography
> and textual apparatus. To make the card catalog live data, rather than
> dead data.
>
> 3.  Support a footnote system in wikimedia. To improve the ability to
> assess credibility and standards compliance of articles and their
> information.

Hoi,
If the idea is to link citations to the US-Library of Congres then it
may be a good idea inside the United States. If the idea is to link to
the Koninklijke Bibliotheek then it may be an equally valid idea inside
the Netherlands. When a standard is chosen that does not show how it
relevancy outside the United States, the idea is how well intended
fatally flawed.

I do know there is a Library of Congress but I am more interested in the
Koninklijke Bibliotheek. When a proposed system is structured in such a
way that institutions that are equal to the Library of Congress are
treated as such, a system as is proposed may be feasible. Without this,
facts not known in the USA would not be creditable and this, is deadly
for the credibility of this proposed system.

Thanks,
    GerardM

Thanks