[Wikipedia-l] www.wikipedia.org portal

Catherine Munro artslave at usa.net
Sat Jan 29 11:55:45 UTC 2005

I recently suggested a new design for the www.wikipedia.org portal, which
has since been developed by AlanBarrett and several others more talented
than I.   After some very positive feedback, another user has now put the
design up for a vote.  I would like to get full input from users of all
languages and browsers as this should definitely not be a decision made by
en: users alone.

* Current portal:  http://www.wikipedia.org/
Please note that the current portal has been recently updated to add the
Dutch Wikipedia (which just reached 50,000), but that the page is protected
so that contributors have not yet been able to work out an ideal solution
to the layout of seven 50+ languages -- if the current one is kept a better
solution will obviously be found.

* Proposed
portal:  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Www.wikipedia.org_portal/Catherine
Note that after the poll went up, it was discovered that this design does
not currently work in the Konqueror 3.1 browser.  Work is ongoing to find
the CSS bugs responsible, and any possible workarounds -- if you have
experience in this area, please comment on the talk page
(http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Www.wikipedia.org_portal/Catherine).

* The vote:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Www.wikipedia.org_portal#Poll_on_Catherine.27s_version
Voting set to end February 11.