[Wikipedia-l] Individual Wikipedias for different Sinitic vernaculars (Cantonese debate) - update

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 07:38:38 UTC 2005

19k articles is huge. It is more than decent. It makes zh a usable
encyclopedic resource with only a few omissions in normal browsing.

With all due respect, 19k is huge because Wikipedias which actually
celebrate breaking 300 or 500 are so much smaller, even Wikipedias
which celebrate breaking 1k or 5k or even 10k are a great deal smaller
and yet can sometimes be useful.

Your only giving actual figures for "very active" Wikipedians is also
selective spin. "Active" Wikipedians are obviously much higher in
number and are what makes zh.wikipedia a community rather than a
closed group of friends.

You try to make it sound as if zh.wikipedia is devoid of all life
except for the lone Wikipedian here and there - that's ridiculous.

If neither you, nor Yacht, nor Mountain, nor Shizhao, nor any of the
other important figureheads are planning to defect to a fangyan-pedia,
there's probably not much to worry about - that means that a minimal
amount of "lesser" users will move rather than a significant one. (and
again, I believe that especially with Wu the situation would be
similar to that between hi: and kn:)

Nishishei is the head of a slowly growing online BBS about
"zanhe-ëwo", so if he starts alone he wil surely find other users
easily (this is how scn.wikipedia reached its present state - I
motivated one person and he motivated everybody else)

If Nishishei really wants to work on a Wu Wikipedia, and he can draw
other editors/readers, then why do you want to redirect his efforts to
zh.wikipedia? That's a bit selfish.

Mark