[Wikipedia-l] Re: Recipe

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 07:10:50 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

>Michael Snow (wikipedia at earthlink.net) [050121 14:33]:
>

>>Also, the way we traditionally handle certain types of POV - one of the
>>main complaints about recipes - is by attributing that POV to a credible
>>source (not by removing it entirely). A recipe from a standard cookbook
>>for a given style of cuisine, or from a noteworthy cook (not your Aunt
>>Tillie, in other words), can satisfy this angle too.
>>

>I think I am about to go wild with my (precioussssss) Bee Nilson.

Who in the world is Bee Nilson, and why isn't there a Wikipedia article
about her when I want to look her up?

Sorry, playing the ignorant American for a bit there. But this just
illustrates how woefully undercovered cooking topics are, along with
almost all other traditionally "domestic" subjects, which is partly why
we're having this whole debate over recipes for the nth time now. If we
had decent encyclopedia articles about these things, which is almost
never the case, then it would be less of an issue. I think a lot of the
visceral objection to recipes is based on the fact that they frequently
overwhelm the remaining content of the article, especially if the
instructions are given in significant detail.

--Michael Snow