[Wikipedia-l] Re: Recipe

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 21 03:35:02 UTC 2005

Anthere wrote:

>Would mentioning a cookbook in which the recipe is mentionned enough to satisfy those hungry for "credentials" ?

It would at least help avoid the argument over whether recipes are
copyrighted. Given the skeletal nature of a recipe, it may be tenuous to
take the position that they are, but there are a significant number of
people out there who are concerned about reprinting published recipes
for that reason. If we credit the cookbook, we're complying with Article
10 of the Berne Convention, which requires that you make mention of the
soure when quoting.

Also, the way we traditionally handle certain types of POV - one of the
main complaints about recipes - is by attributing that POV to a credible
source (not by removing it entirely). A recipe from a standard cookbook
for a given style of cuisine, or from a noteworthy cook (not your Aunt
Tillie, in other words), can satisfy this angle too.

--Michael Snow