[Wikipedia-l] Recipes

Olve Utne utne at nvg.org
Thu Jan 20 05:50:47 UTC 2005

I agree with Sabine, Giuseppe Guillaume, Sj, & al.: Recipes do belong in
Wikipedia -- they are excellent sources of cultural information. The
appropriate level of detail for the recipe may of course vary between
articles: A recipe for "pinnekjøt(t)" (typical of (mostly) one region of
Norway) is relatively easy to write down, and the variants are similar
enough to each other that one can keep it short and clear. A recipe for
"haroset" (typical of almost all Jewish cultures) is obviously going to be
a much harder task with all its variety...  If someone just enters a
recipe, the challenge is to expand the article to contain something more
than that -- not to take away the important cultural information that has
been offered in the form of that recipe. In my not-so-humble opinion, that
is... :)

-Olve