[Wikipedia-l] Re: recipes

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 19 20:28:35 UTC 2005

Ashar Voultoiz a écrit:

> Anthere wrote:
>
>>I discovered today that recipes are now legally deleted from the english
>>wikipedia where they are not welcome any more.
>>
>>Still, I had the memory there was no clear agreement on doing so, and
>>for months, there was a sort of balance with removing all those of minor
>>dishes, while keeping those from typical ones.
>

> Hello,
>
> I guess things tend to change. Things that were acceptable some months
> ago are no more accepted by the community.

No, things do not change.
This was added in spring 2004.
The discussions occured for months and months and months and last ones
were from october 2004.

And show no clear support

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:List_of_recipes/Delete
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3ARecipes_proposal

>>When I tried to make a policy on the topic, clearly, there was no
>>agreement. Neither to keep, neither to delete. Mostly two factions.
>>
>>Today, I realised all had been deleted. I restored one and was
>>immediately reverted by Gentgeen (of course, he is the one who deleted
>>them) and he pointed to me a policy on "what Wikipedia is not".
>

> Maybe you should add entries in a "Request to undelete" page instead of
> abusing your sysop rights against the community choice (aka restauring a
> page that got deleted with the approval of the community).

Excuse me. The page is not deleted, the recipee is deleted.

The page was not deleted, I did not restore it against community choice
of deletion. I merely did a revert.

I rarely use sysop powers :-)

> <snip>
>
>>* why is it so that rules are written in the big book (what wikipedia is
>>not) which makes reference, while these rules are not widely agreed on
>>the project ? If not agreed but by a couple of bold people, should they
>>be used to revert the others ?
>

> For me, if the community decide that receipe should be deleted, it's no
> more about "a couple of bold people", but the community as a whole.

IT WAS NOT A DELETION. It was Gentgeen removing a recipee from a page.
This is ONE person.

>>I realised the recipes were not welcome any more at all today, because a
>>couple of french people wish to delete them as well on the french
>>wikipedia. And one of their arguments is that the english wikipedia
>>decided to delete them (and so, they must be right !).
>>
>>I removed the rule as is now, and asked the editor who initially added
>>it to show me where this was supported initially.
>

> I personally believe that receipes as they are should go in wikibooks
> and have nothing to do with an encyclopedia. Having an history,
> description, use of a dish is another matter and can fit well in the
> encyclopedia. The receipe does not.
>
> cheers,
>
> - --
> Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++

You are entitled your opinion.
What is problematic here is that it is not the opinion of the community
to do so, but done nevertheless.

Anthere