[Wikipedia-l] images on commons and gfdl

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 10:36:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 09:59:09 +0100, Magnus Manske <magnus.manske at web.de> wrote:

> User on wikipedia: "Hey, great image! And clickable..." - click - "Oh,
> no description. Wait, it says there's description and copyright stuff
> under that link!" - click - "Ah, there we go!"
>
> If someone made it as far as the article in the first place, is it
> really such a stretch to assume (s)he'd be able to do the above?

Perhaps not. But it's still an extra step that should not be
necessary. And if the person was unlucky enough to get the image from
a wiki where that particular piece of text has not been translated,
all information on source and license s/he can get is "This file is a
shared upload and may be used by other projects." Which is not very
helpful, if you ask me.

Andre Engels