[Wikipedia-l] Map drawing software, part two

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Sat Jan 15 22:36:37 UTC 2005

OK, I went ahead and worked some more on this (no new images to show
off, yet). But, more info and the complete data set of Bavaria at
    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Geo
to give you an idea of the internal workings. I'm actually using
(media)wiki syntax to denote the data, so it stays humanly readable.

And, I now read my data from my local wiki (through URL, action=raw).
Generating the half-German map takes about 2 seconds.

Tomorrow, I need to work on the parameters to call the thing. As you can
see, I can already state to draw Hamburg in red. But, I want to see the
surrounding parts of Europe in one color, Germany in another, and Berlin
in yet another one. And to draw an extra border around Germany as a
whole. This will prove tricky.

Also, for drawing parts of Europe, I need more data. And a city drawing
routine. and some rivers and lakes. And the ocean. Geez, why do I always
get myself into such a mess ;-)

Magnus