[Wikipedia-l] mediawiki 1.4, images tarball

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Thu Jan 13 08:01:37 UTC 2005

Folks,

  I have been trying out the new feature of having the interface in one
  language while reading wikipedia in another.

  I have found some small bugs.

  While the interface is set to French in my preferences, the English
  wikipedia reports "Basé sur le travail de $1." at the top of
  http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&target=xx

  Obviously a parameter missing somewhere.

  Also, at the bottom of any page,

     Dernière modification de cette page : 9 jan 2005 à 21:45. All text is
     available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (see
     Copyrights for details).

  Perhaps the License description should be in French too.

  On a different subject, I see that the images tarball has ballooned
  from 2.5 Gig in March 2004 to 15 Gig Jan 2005.

  Wow.

  I would /love/ an rsync interface to this archive - downloading the
  whole thing to get the updates is rapidly becoming unmanageable.

  I put snapshots of wikipedia down in South African schools that do not
  have realtime access to Internet - and it is proving very popular. My
  distribution mechanism has become a hard drive, with Linux, mysql,
  mediawiki, and the wikipedia tables and images pre-installed, and
  either mailed or carried to the school.

  I download the wikipedia frontpage nightly and fix up the links to
  point to the local snapshot - give it a fresh, newsy feel. Some links
  do not work, of course, but things like the Featured Article work
  well, and non-bolded links in the News items and Recent articles.

  Any local edits are lost, of course, when I update them (disk swap).

Cheers,     Andy!

http://wizzy.org.za/
[[en:User:Wikiwizzy]]

~~~~ :wq!